Looking to sharpen your professional image? Working one-on-one with an image consultant is a great way to boost your style and skills. An image consultant can coach you on your attire, professional demeanour, grooming and makeup, verbal skills, and body language. You can also hire a consultant to help you prepare for something specific, such as a job interview or an important presentation. Or, you might choose to bring in an image consultant to speak to a larger audience during a company training. But first, choosing the right image consultant will require some research and preparation. You want to be sure that your consultant will understand your needs, will work well with you, and is qualified to help you achieve your goals. You should also be aware of their methodology and make sure that it fits your standards and expectations. When you take the time to find an excellent consultant, you will get the most out of the experience.
Before you start your search, write down exactly what skills you aspire to gain. Do you need lessons in the best colours, cuts, and style of a professional wardrobe, or do you get nervous in front of a crowd and want to refine your speaking and body language skills? If you are hiring a consultant for a company training, in which areas do your employees need advice and improvement? When you clearly define what services you need, it will be easier to find a consultant who will work well with you. In addition, once you have hired the consultant, you can let him or her know from the outset exactly what you would like to achieve.
Once you have a detailed idea why you are seeking image consulting, it’s time to research who can help you reach those goals. The Internet is a great place to start: search for image consultants in your city and review their websites to find out what kinds of programs they offer and what their credentials are. Once you have narrowed down whom in your area you might like to work with, schedule an informational interview with each potential consultant. Meeting face-to-face and discussing the specifics of their programs and their experience is key; you can only learn so much about a consultant’s skills and qualifications from a website description. Here are several questions to consider asking a potential image consultant:
Questions about their programs
- Tell me about your programs.
- What is your process when you work one-on-one with somebody?
- Tell me about three of the biggest mistakes that people make, and how you address these in your program.
- How do you expect to customize a program for our organization that addresses the needs of both men and women?
- When you present, how do you ensure that you have a captivated audience?
Questions about their qualifications
- Do you have a formal education in fashion and design?
- Who have you worked with?
- Have you written any books or articles on style, wardrobe, tailoring or dress for success?
- Do you have a recent success story or testimonials from program participants?
- How do you define image?
- Ask he/she to tell you three things they would do to enhance your look.
- Besides dress and attire, what other topics can you cover that would complement your image program?
- What questions should I be asking of your competition?
If the consultant provides detailed and precise answers to your questions, demonstrates a strong knowledge of image and attire, can share a few success stories from their program, and has adequate qualifications and training, then he or she could be the right consultant for you. The final step is to hire the consultant with the best results based on your hiring process, and then to enjoy learning the new skills and style tips that a great image consultant can share!